Moving to the United States is a big step for anyone, and you must use all the proper channels to start your foundation and life. The citizenship process is challenging, and you need legal guidance from a Lynwood immigration lawyer at Bountiful Law to ensure you get it right the first time.
The United States Government has established these requirements for naturalization, and if you have them all, you can begin your citizenship process.
- 18 years old
- Have a permanent resident card for at least five years
- Have a permanent residency card for three years if married to a U.S. citizen
- Continued residency in the U.S for the same periods above
- You can read, write and speak basic English
- Have a good moral character
- Understanding of fundamental U.S. history and government
- Take a loyalty oath
If you meet these requirements, you can begin applying for citizenship. Before you start your application, speak to our Washington State immigration lawyers. Remember, when you apply for naturalization, the USCIS can reopen your immigration file.
Step one is to determine if you are a citizen, and step two is looking at our checklist above to see if you are eligible to apply. There are other steps to the process:
- Prepare Form N-400
- Submit your application
- Prepare for the test and interview
- Attend biometrics appointment
- Complete your interview
- Receive a decision from USCIS
- Receive notice of taking your oath
Lastly, you will take your oath to the United States at your ceremony, and you are done.
It is challenging to apply for citizenship if you have a criminal record, drug abuse, or an extended period outside the United States. You must speak to Bountiful Law to determine how and when you should apply; schedule a consultation with a Lynwood immigration attorney to start your new life. Contact our office today for a consultation.