estate planning attorney

When estate planning, the issue of power of attorney can arise and is one of the crucial decisions you will make aside from where your property goes. Washington State will govern distribution if you do not have an estate plan. A Lynwood estate planning lawyer at Bountiful Law can help you through your estate plan and choose the best power of attorney.

Requirements For The Power of Attorney

Washington has updated their requirements to protect vulnerable parties. Some of the requirements include the following:

  • Documents must be signed, dated, and notarized. In lieu of notarization, you can get two disinterested witnesses to sign. Witnesses cannot be blood or marriage relatives or long-term care facility workers.
  • Co-agents must collaborate if applicable.
  • Document title must be Power Of Attorney.
  • Power of attorney given to a spouse or domestic partner terminates upon dissolving the marriage or partnership.
  • In some cases, you can exonerate the power of attorneys from liability for their actions.

Many other nuances exist, and you need a Washington estate planning lawyer.

When You Need a Power of Attorney

A power of attorney is a person you choose who will make financial or medical decisions for you when you lose capacity or, sometimes, where you have capacity. You can revoke a power of attorney while you have the capacity and choose anyone from friends, children, family, spouses, etc. You have different types of power of attorney you will need, such as:

  • A durable power of attorney
  • Springing power of attorney
  • Financial power of attorney
  • General power of attorney
  • A medical power of attorney

Speak to a Washington Estate Planning Lawyer

When you need a power of attorney or estate, you must speak with our King County Washington estate planning attorney to discuss your options. We understand how difficult but important these decisions are and can help you protect yourself and your future. Contact our office to schedule an appointment today with a Lynwood estate planning attorney.